Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Sloop John B

Great Review of the first night of the Democratic Convention over at the Whiskey Bar. We here at littleboxes mourn for the days of Freshman English class so that we could go back and learn how to write as well as billmon.

Here is some of what he is cooking:
What was important to me was what I saw when the camera panned the delegates - black and white and every shade in between, male and female, gay and straight, young and old, union guys from Cleveland and lesbian couples from San Francisco, Irish pols from Boston and Hispanic pols from East L.A. Asian American businessmen from Seattle and African American teachers from Harlem.

God knows that's not the full picture of the Democratic Party - not even close. I'm sure there was no shortage of vile hacks and corporate fat cats in the audience. And when it comes to actual policies, it's pretty clear the party has about as much progressive backbone as a bowl of corn meal mush.

But compared to the sea of sour-looking honkies and fundamentalist zealots that have filled the seats (if not the stage) of every GOP convention I've ever watched, there's no question in my mind which side I'm on in this fight. It may not be my party, but those are my people, my America. I wish I could be there with them.

(link to the rest)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home